Thursday, September 19, 2013

Same Kids, Different Place

Day 22-

I got to watch my kids in another room today, and I feel like that was the best thing I could have done.  It was wonderful to see another teacher interact with them and what he could get out of them.  He did cold calling, call and response, had them come up to the board, had them speak and focused on misconceptions.  He got so excited when the kids, across the board, misunderstood an idea.  He was ecstatic because he caught them all in the same place, and got to help them fix a major issue.  I loved seeing how patient and kind he was with them, and I picked up a few new techniques that you bet your behind I'll use.  It also turns out that we're from the same area, so that is an added plus in terms of he knows where I'm coming from, and I know where he's coming from.

Second period, however, is turning into a challenge.  There's a couple strong personalities who think they're better than the system, but show a great deal less understanding.  It's hard to get through to them, and so my DT is becoming frustrated with the class as a whole, even if the fault is in the few.  It's going to be a learning game, to figure out the best way I can support her.  STRESS, MAN.  If I make it out this year without grey hairs, I'll be surprised.  Not going to lie, I check most days, since my hair color is more or less natural again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by @tomatopolish